Dal Makhani is one of the most popular dals in India. This Dal Makhani recipe is a restaurant-style version with subtle smoky flavors and creaminess of the lentils. If you love authentic Punjabi food then you are going to love this Dal Makhani even more. Learn how to make dal makhni at home with your favorite chef Kunal Kapoor. Dal Makhani is a delight for all vegetarians. It is creamy, tasty and easy to make.
Dal Makhani is a creamy, thick, yummy lentil recipe that loved by people all over India! Want to learn my take on this recipe? . Happy Cooking!
Full written recipe for Restaurant Style Dal Makhani Recipe
- Sabut urad dal 250 grams (whoe black gram lentil)
- Water to rinse & soak
- Water to cook – 4-5 litres + as required
For the tadka:
- Desi Ghee – 4tbsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- Deghi/ kashmiri red chilli powder – 3 tbsp
- Fresh tomato puree – 500 grams
- Salt to taste
- White butter – 4 tbsp
- A pinch of homemade garam masala (optional)
- Toasted kasuri methi – 1/2 tsp
- White butter – 3 tbsp
- Fresh cream – 1/2 cup
Method for Dal Makhni :
- Wash & rinse the dal really well. You will have to scrub the dal between your palms so that all the impurities are discarded & also the dal will slightly loose its color. You will have to wash the dal for 3-4 times, I washed it for 3 times.
- Once the dal is washed & the water is clear, add enough water to soak & soak the dal for a minimum of 4-5 hours or overnight.
- Once the dal is soaked, drain the excess water & now add the dal into a large vessel.
- Add enough wate & bring the water to a boil.
- Now lower the flame & cook the dal for 60-90 minutes. Stir in intervals but with very light hands & not in very short intervals.
- I do not add the salt early into the dal & prefer to add it in the tadka & towards the end.
- Scum will start to form on the top, remove & discard.
- Once the dal is cooked well, you should be able to crush the dal between your fingers very easily & you should feel the starchy goodness squeezing out of the dal.
- You can continue to cook the dal until you prep the tadka or set it aside.
- You can also cook the dal in a pressure cooker for 4-5 whistles & you would require lesser water as per your pressure cooker requirements.
Dal Makhani For the Tadka Method :
- Add desi ghee into a vessel, now add in the ginger garlic paste. Cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes. Now add in the red chilli powder & cook om low flame for a minute.
- Remember to not burn the chilli. If you feel the heat is too high, just sprinkle some water to avoid the burning of the chilli powder.
- Now add in the fresh tomato puree, salt to taste & cook on medium to high flame until the tomatoes are cooked really well & the ghee is released.
- Now set the dal again on a flame & add the tadka to it.
Mix well & now add the white butter, you can add unsalted butter as well, or use normal butter & adjust the salt accordingly.
- Now cook the dal on low flame for 30-45 minutes, longer the better. Keep stirring in intervals.
- Use a whisk or a wooden mathani to mash the dal to a consistency you like. The more you mash, the creamier would be the texture.
- After about 45 minutes, add toasted kasuri methi powder, a pinch of garam masala which is optional but do add because we did not use any whole spices. Mix well.
- Now lower the flame to the minimum & finish with white butter and the fresh cream.
- Mix gently & cook for 4-5 minutes.
- The dal ready served.
- Remember, this dal tends to thicken very quickly so whenever you feel that the dal is very thick, add HOT water, remember the water should be hot, even when you cook this dal in advance the dal will be really thick if it gets cold, reheat, adjust the consistency with hot water, bring to a boil before you serve. Cheers!